New Employee Resources
Welcome to the Mercer Family!
With faculty and staff located on campuses in Macon, Atlanta, Savannah and Columbus and Regional Academic Centers around the state, you will find we cover a lot of ground in the state of Georgia. No matter which location, together we are all one big Bear family! As a member of the Mercer community, you will play a key role in providing the service and support that helps make Mercer a special place to work. We look forward to the new ideas and abilities you will bring to help us continue with our mission to teach, to learn, to create, to discover, to inspire, to empower and to serve.
Please click on each heading below to access important information and resources you may find helpful as you begin your employment. The entire Human Resources team wishes you great success in your career here at Mercer. Please let us know how we may be of service to you.
- Mercer University Non-Faculty Employee Handbook
- Mercer University Faculty Handbook
- Mercer Engineering Research Center (MERC) Handbook (available on MERC intranet)
- Approved Driver's Policy & Application
- Drug-Free Workplace & Campus Program
- Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy
- Family and Medical Leave Policy (FMLA)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) / Employee Training
- Information Technology Access and Use Policy
- Policy Prohibiting Other Discriminatory Harassment
- Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Violence Policy
- Social Media Guidelines
- Time Away From Work (includes holiday/sick/vacation policies)
- Tobacco and Smoke-Free Environment Policy
Federal Law Postings:
- Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
- EEO is the Law Supplement
- Employee Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Employee Rights Under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- OSHA: Job Safety & Health
- Right to Work
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
State Law Postings:
- Equal Pay for Equal Work
- Unemployment Insurance for Employees
- Unemployment Insurance Not Payable During Vacation
- Workers' Compensation Bill of Rights
Other Notices & Disclosures:
Timesheets and Leave Reports
As indicated in your offer letter, employees are classified as either non-exempt staff, exempt staff or faculty.
- Non-exempt staff must track their time on an hourly basis. While most non-exempt employees are paid on the monthly payroll, some may be paid on the biweekly payroll. For your first timesheet, you will need to print a copy of the appropriate timesheet below to complete. In subsequent months, you will receive a preprinted timesheet via campus mail to your department. Completed timesheets should be sent to the Payroll office per the dates indicated in the pay schedules below. If you have any questions on which timesheet to complete , please contact Human Resources.
- Exempt staff only need to track their time away from work (i.e. vacation, sick, etc.). At the end of each month, exempt staff will report this time through the Leave Report System. It will not be necessary to report any campus wide closings such as holidays and authorized inclement weather days. The Leave Report should be completed, saved, and submitted even if you used no leave during the monthly pay period. Continuous month-to-month leave tracking is required for accrual rollover and eligibility for payout of any accrual at termination. You may access your Leave Report at any time during the month, however, you will only be able to submit it after the month ends. Your Leave Report may be accessed at: https://mercerreports.mercer.edu/reports/report/MyPayroll/LeaveReport. If you do not receive an email with this report in your first month, please print a monthly timesheet from above to record any vacation and sick leave usage and forward to Payroll via campus mail.
- Faculty who are on a 12-month contract should contact their Dean's office for the policy and guidelines on tracking their vacation leave.
Paystubs (For those paid on a monthly basis and on direct deposit only)
For those employees who sign up for direct deposit, your monthly paystubs will be electronic. To view, please go to https://mercerreports.mercer.edu/reports and log in with your Mercer username and password. Open the MyPayroll folder and click on the My Pay Statement icon to view a drop down list of dates you have been paid. Please select the appropriate date and you will see the pay statement from that pay cycle. For more detailed instructions, please visit: http://benefitspayroll.mercer.edu/www/mu-benefitspayroll/payroll/upload/MyPayroll.pdf.
Sick/Vacation Leave Balances
For non-faculty staff and administrators who submit timesheets or Bear Time reports, please go to https://mercerreports.mercer.edu/reports and log in with your Mercer username and password. Open the MyPayroll folder and click on the Vacation and Sick Leave Hours icon. This will display your vacation and sick leave balances as of the end of the previous pay period. If you are a supervisor, you will see the balances of the employees that report to you either directly or indirectly. Please note that any leave taken during the previous pay period may not yet be reflected in these balances.
Faculty should contact their department chair/Dean regarding tracking their vacation leave and to obtain their current leave balance.
Mercer employees are eligible for discounted and many times free tickets to cheer on all of our sports teams. For more information, please contact the Athletics department at (478) 301-5220 or email@example.com.
The following banks offer discounted services to Mercer employees: Mid South Federal Credit Union (Macon), Georgia United Credit Union (Atlanta), Wells Fargo at-Work (All locations), and Suntrust (All locations). Please contact the Benefits & Payroll office for further information.
Cell Phone Discount Plans
Mercer has partnered with carriers AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon Wireless to provide employees with discounted pricing on several cellular telephone plans.
Fitness Center (Atlanta campus)
The Sheffield Gym offers employees the use of weight machines, an Olympic sized swimming pool, fitness classes and much more!
Fitness Center (Macon campus)
Full-time employees and their dependents have access to a fully equipped fitness center located at the University Center on the Macon campus at NO charge! Spouses and dependent children (ages 16-26) will need to have an ID made in order to access the fitness center. Please contact Pam Johnston at ext. 5153 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Grand Opera House
Discount tickets are available to Mercer employees for many national touring Broadway productions, concerts and events throughout the year. Season tickets and special show packages may be purchased through payroll deduction.
HealthyU Incentive Program
This Wellness incentive program offers employees rewards for engaging in healthy behaviors. Eligible employees can earn points throughout the year that can be redeemed as either vacation days or dollars off the maximum out of pocket expense on Mercer's Health Plan.
School of Music Calendar of Events
The Townsend School of Music and the Robert McDuffie Center for Strings present a multitude of events throughout the year, featuring students, faculty, and guest artists. Many of these performances are free and open to the public.
Student Theatre Productions
Mercer Theatre typically has four major student led productions each year with student showcases and other performances at the Tattnal Square Center for the Arts or the Grand Opera House.
Mercer employees have access to discounted prices on computers and software from third-party companies for personal purchases. These purchases are done directly with the companies listed and not through the IT department.
Bear Card (Employee ID)
The Bear Card serves as your official employee ID card, but that's not all! In addition, it provides you with library privileges, access to certain areas or buildings on campus and can even be used as a form of payment at specified locations on and off campus if you have previously added funds to your card. New employees will need to take the authorization form provided by HR and visit Auxiliary Services in Macon or Atlanta to get their card.
Maps as well as directions to all of Mercer's campuses can be found here.
The IT department offers several special interest email listservs for employees to exchange information with one another in areas such as carpooling, items for sale, wellness program events, and much more! Employees must subscribe to the particular list(s) of interest via the IT website.
Emergency Preparedness & Emergency Response Resources
The Environmental Health & Safety Office has multiple resources available for emergency responses related to weather, environmental or other safety issues. Mercer Police has also provided additional safety and emergency preparedness resources on their website.
Frequently Called Numbers
While the online directory is a great resource for finding contact information for university employees and departments, we have collected some of the more frequently called numbers in this quick list.
Giving to Mercer
Whether you make a gift to The Mercer Fund, give to an online crowdfunding campaign, or give through Phonathon, there are a variety of ways employees can get involved in supporting Mercer.
The General University Libraries offer services to faculty and staff on the Atlanta and Macon campus as well as the Douglas and Henry Regional Academic Centers, while the Medical Library provides services on the Macon, Savannah and Columbus campuses.
Mail and Shipping Services
The Mail Services Centers on the Macon and Atlanta campuses provide USPS services such as First Class, Priority, Express, International (air only), Insured, Certified, Registered, Business Reply, and Standard or bulk mailings. For information on location and hours of operation, please visit their website.
All Mercer employees should have a Mercer parking decal for their vehicles. Parking decals are available at the Mercer Police department on the Macon or Atlanta campuses. Please visit the Mercer Police website for additional information and a map of parking locations on the Macon campus.
Someone in your department or college/school will submit a request with Mercer's IT department to set up your IT related access and notify you once that process has been completed. You can explore available technology resources on the IT website.
Where to Eat on Campus
Mercer's campuses have some great places to eat whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Employees even have the opportunity to sign up for discounted meal plans that make paying for your meal as easy as the tap of your Bear Card! Please visit the Macon and Atlanta dining websites for locations and hours of operation.