New Employee Resources & Information
Welcome to Mercer!
As a new employee, we would like to welcome you to the Mercer family! With faculty and staff located on campuses in Macon, Atlanta, Savannah and Columbus and 3 Regional Academic Centers around the state, you’ll find we cover a lot of ground in Georgia. No matter which location you may be on, together we are all one big Bear family!
As a member of the Mercer community, you will play a key role in providing the service and support that helps make Mercer a special place to work. We look forward to the new ideas and abilities you will bring to help us continue with our mission to teach, to learn, to create, to discover, to inspire, to empower and to serve!
Below you will find important information about beginning your employment with Mercer as well as other resources as you may find valuable. Please click on each heading to learn more. All of us in Human Resources wish you great success in your career here at Mercer. Please let us know how we may be of service to you.
- I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification (Section 1)
- Instructions for completing I-9
- Section 2 of the I-9 will be completed and certified by HR or a Mercer representative when you present your original, unexpired documents (see list of acceptable documents on page 3) in person on or before your first day of employment. Also, please bring the original I-9 and Personnel Data Form with you when you come.
- Personnel Data Form
In addition, you will need to complete the FERPA Form for faculty/staff listed on the Registrar's website. This form must be completed in order to gain access to the student records information system. Please complete and return to your supervisor or school/college representative.
Below are some additional new employee forms. You may print these now to complete and bring with you or we will have them available when you meet with HR or a Mercer representative on or before your first day.
- Bear Card Authorization
- Direct Deposit
- Policy Signature Sheet
- For reference:
Additional policies can be found in the employee handbook or on the HR intranet site (accessible once you receive your Mercer username and password).
- For reference:
- Tax Form G-4 (Georgia - Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate)
- Tax Form W-4 (Federal - Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate)
As a federal contractor, Mercer must provide you with an opportunity to self-identify as a protected veteran and/or as an individual with a disability. Any information you provide on these forms will be kept private in a separate secure file in the HR office and will not be used against you in any way. Completion of these forms is voluntary and will be used for statistical purposes only.
Finding My Way Around Campus
Maps as well as directions to all of Mercer's campuses can be found here.
All Mercer employees should have a Mercer parking decal for their vehicles. Parking decals are available at the Mercer Police department on the Macon or Atlanta campuses. Please visit the Mercer Police website for additional information and a map of parking locations on the Macon campus.
The Bear Card serves as your official employee ID card, but that's not all! In addition, it provides you with library privileges, access to certain areas or buildings on campus and can even be used as a form of payment at specified locations on and off campus! If you do not yet have your Bear Card, please take the authorization form provided to you by HR and visit Auxiliary Services in Macon or Atlanta as soon as possible to get your card.
Where to Eat on Campus
Mercer's campuses have some great places to eat whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Employees even have the opportunity to sign up for discounted meal plans that make paying for your meal as easy as the tap of your Bear Card! Please visit the Macon and Atlanta dining websites for locations and hours of operation.
Timesheets and Leave Reports
As indicated in your offer letter, employees are classified as either non-exempt staff, exempt staff or faculty.
- Non-exempt staff must track their time on an hourly basis. While most non-exempt employees are paid on the monthly payroll, some may be paid on the biweekly payroll. For your first timesheet, you will need to print a copy of the appropriate timesheet below to complete. In subsequent months, you will receive a preprinted timesheet via campus mail to your department. Completed timesheets should be sent to the Payroll office per the dates indicated in the pay schedules below. If you have any questions on which timesheet to complete , please contact Human Resources.
- Exempt staff only need to track their time away from work (i.e. vacation, sick, etc). At the end of each month, exempt staff receive an electronic Bear Time Leave Report delivered to their Mercer email address. These spreadsheets should be completed and sent back to BearTime@mercer.edu every month, even if you did not take any leave. If you do not receive an email with this report in your first month, please print a monthly timesheet from above to record any vacation and sick leave usage and forward to Payroll via campus mail.
- Faculty who are on a 12-month contract should contact their Dean's office for the policy and guidelines on tracking their vacation leave.
Someone in your department or college/school will submit a request with Mercer's IT department to set up your IT related access and notify you once that process has been completed. You can explore available technology resources on the IT website.
Mail and Shipping Services
The Mail Services Centers on the Macon and Atlanta campuses provide USPS services such as First Class, Priority, Express, International (air only), Insured, Certified, Registered, Business Reply, and Standard or bulk mailings. For information on location and hours of operation, please visit their website.
Mercer employees have access to discounted prices on computers and software from third-party companies for personal purchases. These purchases are done directly with the companies listed and not through the IT department.
Cell Phone Discount Plans
Mercer has partnered with carriers AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon Wireless to provide employees with discounted pricing on several cellular telephone plans.
Fitness Center (Macon campus)
Full-time employees and their dependents have access to a fully equipped fitness center located at the University Center on the Macon campus at NO charge!
Fitness Center (Atlanta campus)
The Sheffield Gym offers employees the use of weight machines, an Olympic sized swimming pool, fitness classes and much more!
HealthyU Incentive Program
This Wellness incentive program offers employees rewards for engaging in healthy behaviors. Eligible employees can earn points throughout the year that can be redeemed as either vacation days or dollars off the maximum out of pocket expense on Mercer's Health Plan.
The following banks offer discounted services to Mercer employees: Mid South Federal Credit Union (Macon), Georgia United Credit Union (Atlanta), Wells Fargo at-Work (All locations), and Suntrust (All locations). Please contact the Benefits & Payroll office for further information.
Grand Opera House
Discount tickets are available to Mercer employees for many shows and events throughout the year. Season tickets and special show packages may be purchased through payroll deduction.