New Employee Resources & Information
Welcome to Mercer!
As a new employee, we would like to welcome you to the Mercer family! With faculty and staff located on campuses in Macon, Atlanta, Savannah and Columbus and 3 Regional Academic Centers around the state, you’ll find we cover a lot of ground in Georgia. No matter which location, together we are all one big Bear family!
As a member of the Mercer community, you will play a key role in providing the service and support that helps make Mercer a special place to work. We look forward to the new ideas and abilities you will bring to help us continue with our mission to teach, to learn, to create, to discover, to inspire, to empower and to serve!
Below you will find important information about beginning your employment with Mercer as well as other resources you may find valuable. Please click on each heading to learn more. All of us in Human Resources wish you great success in your career here at Mercer. Please let us know how we may be of service to you.
- I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification (Section 1) - After clicking on this link, please click the first link listed which is labeled Form I-9. Based on your browser settings, the form may download directly to your computer. If you do not see the form load on your screen after clicking the Form I-9 link, please check the download folder on your computer.
- Instructions for completing I-9
- Section 2 of the I-9 will be completed and certified by HR or a Mercer representative when you present your original, unexpired documents (see list of acceptable documents on page 3) in person on or before your first day of employment. Also, please bring the original I-9 and Personnel Data Form with you when you come.
- Personnel Data Form
In addition, you will need to complete the FERPA Form for faculty/staff listed on the Registrar's website. This form must be completed in order to gain access to the student records information system. Please complete and return to your supervisor or school/college representative.
Below are some additional new employee forms. You may print these now to complete and bring with you or we will have them available when you meet with HR or a Mercer representative on or before your first day.
- Bear Card Authorization
- Direct Deposit
- Policy Signature Sheet (Please refer to Handbooks/Policies tab for additional information.)
- Tax Form G-4 (Georgia - Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate)
- Tax Form W-4 (Federal - Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate)
As a federal contractor, Mercer must provide you with an opportunity to self-identify as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability or who previously had a disability. These invitations to self-identify are voluntary and will not be used in any employment decisions. Your response will enable us to collect statistical data on our workforce and will be kept confidential in our office.
- Mercer University Non-Faculty Employee Handbook
- Mercer University Faculty Handbook
- Mercer Engineering Research Center (MERC) Handbook
- Drug-Free Workplace & Campus Program
- Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy
- Family and Medical Leave Policy (FMLA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Information Technology Access and Use Policy
- Policy Prohibiting Other Discriminatory Harassment
- Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Violence Policy
- Social Media Guidelines
- Time Away From Work (includes holiday/sick/vacation policies)
- Tobacco and Smoke-Free Environment Policy
Federal Law Postings:
- Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
- EEO is the Law Supplement
- Employee Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Employee Rights Under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- OSHA: Job Safety & Health
- Right to Work
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
State Law Postings:
- Equal Pay for Equal Work
- Unemployment Insurance for Employees
- Unemployment Insurance Not Payable During Vacation
- Workers' Compensation Bill of Rights
Other Notices & Disclosures:
Finding My Way Around Campus
Maps as well as directions to all of Mercer's campuses can be found here.
All Mercer employees should have a Mercer parking decal for their vehicles. Parking decals are available at the Mercer Police department on the Macon or Atlanta campuses. Please visit the Mercer Police website for additional information and a map of parking locations on the Macon campus.
The Bear Card serves as your official employee ID card, but that's not all! In addition, it provides you with library privileges, access to certain areas or buildings on campus and can even be used as a form of payment at specified locations on and off campus! If you do not yet have your Bear Card, please take the authorization form provided to you by HR and visit Auxiliary Services in Macon or Atlanta as soon as possible to get your card.
Where to Eat on Campus
Mercer's campuses have some great places to eat whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Employees even have the opportunity to sign up for discounted meal plans that make paying for your meal as easy as the tap of your Bear Card! Please visit the Macon and Atlanta dining websites for locations and hours of operation.
Timesheets and Leave Reports
As indicated in your offer letter, employees are classified as either non-exempt staff, exempt staff or faculty.
- Non-exempt staff must track their time on an hourly basis. While most non-exempt employees are paid on the monthly payroll, some may be paid on the biweekly payroll. For your first timesheet, you will need to print a copy of the appropriate timesheet below to complete. In subsequent months, you will receive a preprinted timesheet via campus mail to your department. Completed timesheets should be sent to the Payroll office per the dates indicated in the pay schedules below. If you have any questions on which timesheet to complete , please contact Human Resources.
- Exempt staff only need to track their time away from work (i.e. vacation, sick, etc). At the end of each month, exempt staff receive an electronic Bear Time Leave Report delivered to their Mercer email address. These spreadsheets should be completed and sent back to BearTime@mercer.edu every month, even if you did not take any leave. If you do not receive an email with this report in your first month, please print a monthly timesheet from above to record any vacation and sick leave usage and forward to Payroll via campus mail.
- Faculty who are on a 12-month contract should contact their Dean's office for the policy and guidelines on tracking their vacation leave.
Mail and Shipping Services
The Mail Services Centers on the Macon and Atlanta campuses provide USPS services such as First Class, Priority, Express, International (air only), Insured, Certified, Registered, Business Reply, and Standard or bulk mailings. For information on location and hours of operation, please visit their website.
Paystubs (For those paid on a monthly basis and on direct deposit only)
For those employees who sign up for direct deposit, your monthly paystubs will be electronic. To view, please go to https://mercerreports.mercer.edu/reports and log in with your Mercer username and password. Open the MyPayroll folder and click on the My Pay Statement icon to view a drop down list of dates you have been paid. Please select the appropriate date and you will see the pay statement from that pay cycle. For more detailed instructions, please visit: http://benefitspayroll.mercer.edu/www/mu-benefitspayroll/payroll/upload/MyPayroll.pdf.
Sick/Vacation Leave Balances
For non-faculty staff and administrators who submit timesheets or Bear Time reports, please go to https://mercerreports.mercer.edu/reports and log in with your Mercer username and password. Open the MyPayroll folder and click on the Vacation and Sick Leave Hours icon. This will display your vacation and sick leave balances as of the end of the previous pay period. If you are a supervisor, you will see the balances of the employees that report to you either directly or indirectly. Please note that any leave taken during the previous pay period may not yet be reflected in these balances.
Faculty should contact their department chair/Dean regarding tracking their vacation leave and to obtain their current leave balance.
Someone in your department or college/school will submit a request with Mercer's IT department to set up your IT related access and notify you once that process has been completed. You can explore available technology resources on the IT website.
Mercer employees are eligible for discounted and many times free tickets to cheer on all of our sports teams. For more information, please contact the Athletics department at (478) 301-5220 or email@example.com.
Faculty-Staff Football Ticket Options for 2019
More information coming soon!
The following banks offer discounted services to Mercer employees: Mid South Federal Credit Union (Macon), Georgia United Credit Union (Atlanta), Wells Fargo at-Work (All locations), and Suntrust (All locations). Please contact the Benefits & Payroll office for further information.
Cell Phone Discount Plans
Mercer has partnered with carriers AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon Wireless to provide employees with discounted pricing on several cellular telephone plans.
Fitness Center (Atlanta campus)
The Sheffield Gym offers employees the use of weight machines, an Olympic sized swimming pool, fitness classes and much more!
Fitness Center (Macon campus)
Full-time employees and their dependents have access to a fully equipped fitness center located at the University Center on the Macon campus at NO charge! Spouses and dependent children (ages 16-26) will need to have an ID made in order to access the fitness center. You will need to complete the application and return to the University Center. Any questions regarding the Fitness Center should be directed to Pam Johnston at ext. 5153 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grand Opera House
Discount tickets are available to Mercer employees for many shows and events throughout the year. Season tickets and special show packages may be purchased through payroll deduction.
HealthyU Incentive Program
This Wellness incentive program offers employees rewards for engaging in healthy behaviors. Eligible employees can earn points throughout the year that can be redeemed as either vacation days or dollars off the maximum out of pocket expense on Mercer's Health Plan.
Mercer employees have access to discounted prices on computers and software from third-party companies for personal purchases. These purchases are done directly with the companies listed and not through the IT department.