Why Work at Mercer
With 12 schools and colleges on campuses in Macon, Atlanta and Savannah, and at four Regional Academic Centers around the state, Mercer University is consistently ranked among the nation’s leading institutions by publications such as U.S. News & World Report. Mercer is a community where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged.
At Mercer University, a Bear is more than a mascot: it's a frame of mind that begins with a strong desire to make the most out of your career. Mercer Bears do not settle for mediocrity or the status quo. If you're seeking an environment where your passion and determination are embraced, then you want to work at Mercer University. Come join us and Be The Bear!
About Our Locations
Encouraging and Supporting Professional Development
- Mercer provides a generous undergraduate tuition waiver to eligible employees, their spouses and their dependents. Some graduate tuition assistance is also available.
- The Information Technology department provides services and resources to support educational technology on all of Mercer's campuses.
- Mercer University Libraries serve as a gateway of information resources through strong collections and innovative, technology-rich patron services to support the present and future educational needs of the University community.
Mercer University is a vibrant, caring part of the community, both here and abroad.
MERCER ON MISSION
- Lives are being transformed through Mercer On Mission — the lives of Mercer students and the lives of those they serve in Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and around the globe. Mercer On Mission is the highest expression of what it means to be a faith-based university in the 21st Century. Opportunities are available for faculty and staff to join our students on these trips as they cross cultures and change lives.
NEIGHBORHOOD REVITALIZATION BENEFITS
- Mercer and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation have teamed up to offer a Down Payment Assistance Program designed to encourage Mercerians to participate in revitalization of neighborhoods surrounding the Macon Campus.
- Building their first Habitat for Humanity house in 1997, students, faculty and staff continue to work together on this volunteer project.
PURPLE HEART UNIVERSITY & MILITARY FRIENDLY
- Mercer has been designated Georgia's first and one of only 19 Purple Heart Universities in the country. The designation signifies Mercer's recognition and honor of veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart. In addition, Mercer has worked extensively to better assist military-connected prospective students through the enrollment process for traditional, non-traditional and graduate programs. These efforts resulted in the University being named a Military Friendly School, a designation reserved for the top 15 percent of universities and technical schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace military service members, veterans and family members as students and ensure their success on campus.
Mercer University treasures its heritage.
- Founded in 1833, Mercer has a long held reputation for innovation and educational achievement. Mercer continues to be guided by the historic principles of religious and intellectual freedom, while affirming values that arise from the Judeo-Christian understanding of the world.
- Each week faculty and staff on the Macon campus are invited to join students and gather as a community of faith for campus worship. On the Atlanta campus, employees are welcome to join a weekly community chapel in the auditorium of Cecil B. Day Hall.
- Among the many traditions special to Mercerians is the annual Pilgrimage to Penfield, the birthplace of Mercer University. Every Fall hundreds of students make this trip and staff and faculty are also encouraged to join them.
Mercer University actively supports the arts.
GRAND OPERA HOUSE
- This historic landmark is the performing arts center for Mercer University and features an annual series of national touring companies presenting Broadway productions. In addition, the Grand Opera House is home to the Macon Symphony Orchestra and the GrandKids Arts Education program.
- Mercer Music Series presents more than 40 concerts each year, featuring students, faculty, and guest artists in the state-of-the-art McCorkle Music Building, Neva Langley Fickling Hall and Newton Chapel.
- Each season, Mercer University Theatre produces four theatrical productions, including classics and the latest works, with some performances held at the newly renovated Tatnall Square Center for the Arts.
- The Brown Art Gallery, located on the lower level of the Monroe F. Swilley Library on the Atlanta campus, hosts art exhibits of local artists from the Atlanta area, including some of our very own Mercer employees.
Mercer University is genuinely concerned about employee wellness.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PLAN
- Mercer University benefits for eligible employees include competitive health and dental plans and generous employer contributions to a retirement plan.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS PROGRAMS
- Mercer University provides an opportunity for all Mercer University employees to participate in a Wellness Program. The University Center on the Macon campus offers a Fitness Center with an indoor pool, elevated running track and top of the line weight and exercise equipment. On the Atlanta campus, the Sheffield Gym offers fitness machines, an Olympic sized pool as well as a basketball court and aerobic fitness rooms.
Mercer University offers savings.
BEAR CARD ACCOUNTS
- The Bear Card is your official campus ID and can also be linked to an account with Wells Fargo bank. There is no need to carry cash---the ID can be used like a debit card on campus as well as at participating restaurants and retail stores off-campus.
- The Barnes and Noble campus bookstores, located on both the Macon and Atlanta campuses, offer textbooks, supplies, gifts and Mercer apparel to help you show your Mercer pride! Mercer employees are eligible for a discount with a valid Bear Card as well as special discount events held throughout the year.
Mercer University is a family that knows how to have fun.
- Quadworks is a University sponsored, student-led organization, responsible for creating interesting, educational, and just plain fun events for the Mercer community. Magicians, musicians, artists, comedians and entertainers from all around the country have made their way to Mercer for QuadWorks sponsored events like Homecoming, Snowball, BearStock, Spring Fling, and Mercer Madness!
NCAA DIVISION I SPORTS
- A member of the Southern Conference, Mercer's athletic program gives students, faculty and staff something to cheer about throughout the year. Mercer employees are eligible for discounted and many times free tickets to sporting events!